Natural Resource Damage Assessment (NRDA) / OPA Spill Response
Even small spills can create significant problems in terms of clean up costs, and liability for natural resource damages for the potentially responsible party (PRP). Reducing environmental impacts and liabilities requires in-depth understanding of the response process, environmental resources at risk, capabilities of available responses resources, concerns of natural resource trustees, and applicable regulations.
Cardno ENTRIX professionals have provided contingency planning and spill response expertise for clients for more than a quarter century. Our professionals are well-versed in the requirements of the 1990 Oil Pollution Act (OPA), state and local requirements, as well as related spill guidelines and procedures—like the Shoreline Clean Up Assessment Team (SCAT) process founded on the heels of the Exxon Valdez Oil Spill as well as preventative measures like Spill Prevention and Countermeasure (SPCC) plans required by the EPA.
Cardno ENTRIX is regarded as a leader in the assessment of the environmental and economic impacts of oil spills and the associated restoration, rehabilitation and monitoring of impacted sites. Over the years, our staff has participated in NRDAs at some 50 spills. In addition, we have standing response management contracts with the world’s leading oil producers. Actual spill response experience has provided Cardno ENTRIX professionals valuable insights into the characteristic behavior of different types of spills; the successes and failures of response actions under varying conditions; an understanding of how to collect meaningful environmental samples and documentation; and an appreciation for the environmental implications of diverse situations and actions.
Our planning, response and liability management capabilities are comprehensive—including Spill Prevention and Response Plans, Emergency Response Support, Oil Trajectory and Fate Modeling, Process Hazard Analysis, Training and Drills, Natural Resource Damage Assessment, Habitat Restoration, Environmental Risk Assessment and Management and Environmental and Resource Economics. Additionally, Cardno ENTRIX has worked on spill response plans for a variety of facilities including marine terminals, municipalities, offshore facilities, oil spill cooperatives, pipelines, power plants, production facilities and refineries.
- Natural Resource Damage Assessments
- Contingency and Response Plans
- Emergency Support
- Human Health and Ecological Risk Assessments
- Feasibility Studies of Remedial Alternatives
- Net Environmental Benefits Analysis (NEBA)
- Habitat Equivalency Analysis (HEA) and Resource Equivalency Analysis (REA)
- GIS and GPS Support
- Agency/Trustee Coordination
- Fingerprinting and Forensic Chemistry
- Fate/Transport and Trajectory Modeling (in air, groundwater, surface water, soil)
- On-Site Emergency Training for Response Personnel
- Media/Public Relations support
- Shoreline Cleanup Assessment Team (SCAT)
- Chemical Oil Spill Impact Model (COSIM)
- Potentially Responsible Party (PRP) Allocation/Litigation Support
- Tank Barge DBL 152 Incident, Gulf of Mexico Offshore Sabine Pass, TX
- Buzzards Bay Oil Spill, MA
- Dredge M/V Stuyvesant Oil Spill, CA
- Tank Vessel Athos I Oil Spill, Delaware River & Bay, PA, DE & NJ
- Point Wells Oil Spill, Puget Sound, WA